Whether you’re new to gluten free meal planning or you’ve been gluten free for some time, you know how hard it can be to come up with foods that are healthy, safe, and affordable.
In my opinion, breakfast is the hardest meal to come up with something healthy and gluten free, and if there are some in your family who are gluten free and others who aren’t, the process of coming up with meals that satisfy everyone can be harder still.
That’s why I came up with this recipe for a healthy, nutritious, and gluten free breakfast. It’s similar to oatmeal and it’s something that just about everyone will enjoy. Even better, you can make it in advance and it will keep those in your family who have Celiac Disease, or who are gluten intolerant, healthy.
Brown Rice Breakfast
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons almonds, pecans, walnuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins, dried cherries
- ½ cup milk, soy, almond or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
1. Combine ingredients in sauce pan.
2. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until heated throughout.
3. Eat immediate or set aside to cool.
4. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
5. Reheat a breakfast-sized portion in the morning.
There are many cultures throughout the world where the people begin their days with a bowl of warm rice, which is one reason why this is a favorite gluten free breakfast for my family and me.
Most of the time, I will make a large batch of this on Sunday afternoon so that I know there is a nutritious breakfast waiting in the fridge to start our busy weekday mornings off right. On cool fall days I will even pack some of this hot brown rice cereal and take it with me to work for lunch.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think in the comments.
If you like this recipe, you may like my cookbook: