I am a lip balm fanatic! I have been using ChapStick brand lip balm for as long as I can remember. In fact I carry a tube of lip balm in my pocket at all times. Especially in the winter. Today, I have a recipe for gluten-free DIY lip balm.
About three years ago I was introduced to essential oils and I went to the company’s convention. My roommate at convention made a lot of DIY body products with the essential oils and she gave me a tube of lip balm she had made. OH MY GOODNESS! I loved it and I have to say that little tube of homemade lip balm ruined me for ever using ChapStick again. I loved the feel, I loved the taste, and I loved how it made my lips soft. Here is my little recipe for DIY Lip Balm and the best part, I don’t ever have to read the label to make sure it is gluten-free.
Gluten-Free DIY Lip Balm
- 2 tablespoons Refined Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons Shea Butter
- 2 tablespoons bees wax
- Essential Oils
- In a double boiler or a small glass bowl over a small pot of boiling water, melt the coconut oil, shea butter and bees wax. Constantly stirring until completely melted.
- Remove pan from heat, but keep over the hot water to keep the mixture melted.
- Add the essential oils of your preference. I add peppermint, spearmint, wild orange, or a mixture of doTERRA’s protective blend and Frankincense, but experiment with whatever oils you like.
- Once you’ve added the essential oils, use a syringe (without the needle) like these, to fill the lip balm tubes. This must be done quickly since the mixture will start to harden as soon as it is removed from the heat.
- Let tubes sit at room temperature for several hours until cooled and completely hardened before capping them.
This recipe makes about 12 to 14 tubes