This recipe came about as a variation of my sister’s Italian sausage recipe. Like most everyone else in my immediate family, actual recipes have never been written down. Just ingredients. So when I asked her for her recipe, she handed me a list of ingredients and said, “I just throw everything in”. Sigh! So I went to work and came up with this recipe from her list. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did coming up with it.
If you like this and all my other recipes here on the blog, keep a look out for my new E-cookbook coming out early 2019.
Gluten-Free Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
This is a delicious adaptation of a traditional Italian Sausage recipe.
1. In a large cast iron skillet, brown all sides of sausages in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. About 7 - 10 minutes. Remove sausages from skillet to a plate.
2. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to skillet. Add in the diced onions. Sauté until soft about 5 minutes or so.
3. Add minced garlic and sauté for another 3 minutes or so.
4. Meanwhile, in a 6 quart Dutch oven or other non-reactive pot, place the contents of the 2 cans of diced tomatoes. To the tomatoes, add in the black pepper, salt, diced red pepper, Oregano, tomato paste, stevia, and wine.
5. When the onions and garlic are soft, add them to the tomato mixture.
6. Stir to combine and add the sausages into the tomato mixture and simmer on low for about 1 hour.
7. Remove cooked sausage to a plate.
8. Add the onion slices to the tomato mixture and simmer 15 minutes.
9. Add in the red pepper slices, and the sausages.
10. Simmer another 40 minutes. Until peppers are cooked but not mushy. You want them to have a little body.
Serve on gluten-free baguettes cut in half or your favorite gluten-free rolls.
Can be served on gluten-free rolls, over rice or pasta
My sister's husband loves spicy foods, so she uses hot Italian sausages and red pepper flakes.