So about a month back I wrote about buying Amy’s Bowls, Broccoli Cheese Bake. If you missed it, you can read that blog post here: Why I Don’t Eat Gluten-Free Processed Foods
I vowed to make a healthier version of this product, and I believe I have done a pretty good job. I made my version, seen above, with full fat everything, including heavy cream. Now the difference in my version, I used cauliflower instead of gluten-free pasta. My choice since I am eating a low carb diet right now. I also left out the bread crumb topping, for the same low carb reason. Below is my recipe and the calorie count and nutritional label for my version.
You could certainly make this recipe with low fat milk and cheeses, and gluten-free pasta, but remember what you are losing in calories, you are very likely getting more sodium per serving.
Copy-Cat Recipe Amy's Bowls Broccoli & Cheddar Bake
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 Large Head Cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Onion
- 2 Cups Fresh Broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese Divided
- Cut up raw cauliflower into medium sized florets, place into a medium sized sauce pot with 1 cup of water. Steam until barely fork tender about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and drain immediately, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the finely cut broccoli to the cauliflower and mix gently.
- In a sauce pan over medium low heat, heat heavy cream. Being careful not to burn on the bottom.
- Once cream is warm, whisk in cream cheese cubes, continue whisking until cream cheese is melted.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Continue to whisk until the cheddar cheese is melted.
- To the cheese mixture, add pepper, granulated onion, and granulated garlic and whisk to combine.
- Pour cheese mixture over the cauliflower and broccoli. Mix well until the broccoli and cauliflower is completely covered in the cheese mixture.
- Pour the broccoli, cauliflower, cheese mixture into a ceramic baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the cauliflower mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.