I love minestrone soup. In fact before I was diagnosed with celiac, I made minestrone soup and crusty Italian or sourdough bread for dinner on cold winter nights. This one uses quinoa, and is so good, you won’t miss the pasta.
Gluten-Free Minestrone Soup with White Beans
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 3 Medium Carrots Diced
- 2 Large Stalks of Celery Diced
- 2 Cloves garlic Minced
- 6 Cups Gluten-Free Chicken Broth Preferably Organic or Homemade
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 Ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes with liquid
- 2 14 Ounce Cans cannellini beans Drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 2 Large Bay Leaves
- 3 Inch Chunk Parmesan Cheese Rind
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 3 Cups Baby Spinach Roughly Chopped
- 1/4 Cup fresh parsley Chopped
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1-2 Ounces Pamesan Cheese Freshly Grated
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and aromatic, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- 2. Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, white beans, bay leaves, and Parmesan rind. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions. Make sure that your quinoa hasn't been cross-contaminated in the processing plant.
- 3. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and gently simmer until the barley is cooked through, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the chopped spinach, cooked quinoa, and parsley. Simmer just until the spinach wilts, approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves and remaining cheese rind. Serve immediately sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!