This frittata recipe came about because my dear hubby was building me a bookcase for my new home office over Memorial Day weekend, and I wanted to make him something for breakfast that was different from our usual eggs, but I didn’t want to take the time to make omelettes either. So I looked in the fridge to see just what I had on hand and came up with this. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Recipe - Sausage, Broccoli-Cheese Frittata
- 3/4 Pound Loose Sausage I used sweet Italian
- 1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh Broccoli finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/8 Cup water
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese finely shredded and divided
- 10 Large eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk of your choice I used Almond Milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large well seasoned cast iron skillet or oven safe saute pan, brown sausage, add onions, granulated garlic and mushrooms. Saute until onions are soft.
- Add chopped broccoli and water. Cover and steam until broccoli turns a bright green and is slightly tender, and water has evaporated. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add in chopped spinach and stir to mix and slightly wilt.
- Once spinach is wilted, pour all of the contents of the skillet into a large bowl and place in the freezer for about 5 minutes to chill. So that it doesn't curdle your eggs when added to the eggs.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs and milk together, along with salt and pepper and add to cooled sausage mixture.
- Pour everything back into the skillet and bake for 30 minutes, or until you can shimmy the skillet and the center of the frittata just barely moves. Don't over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Be careful the skillet will be very hot.