This recipe originated with my mother-in-law. She made this when her kids, my hubby included, were young and she was busy being a mom, but wanted to put something on the table.
I have revamped it, and made it a little more tasty. It’s still a great make ahead dinner and all that’s needed is a vegetable or a salad to make this a complete meal.
Crock-Baked Potatoes and Onions
- 5 large potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick, more or less to make your layers, depending on the size of your casserole dish
- enough sliced onions to layer between the potato layers, about 4 or 5,
- 2 – 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Brown and crumble ground beef, add minced garlic, diced tomatoes and Italian Seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
- Spray your crock or casserole dish with a gluten-free vegetable spray.
- Start by layering the bottom of the crock with two layers of potato slices, then a layer of onion slices.
- Spoon enough of the beef and tomato mixture over the onions to cover.
- Continue layering until you get to the top of the crock, finishing with the tomato/beef combination.
- Cover with either an oven safe lid or aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.