Recipe - Healthy Spicy Chicken Salad
This is a delicious alternative to chicken salad made with mayonnaise. The ripe avocados act as the mayonnaise binder. If you don't want to take the time to poach the chicken, you could always used canned chicken or even part of a left over rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts baked or poached and chopped into small bite sized pieces
- 1/4 Cup Red, Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper diced
- 1/4 Cup celery diced
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Baby Spinach leaves chopped
- 1-2 Very Ripe Avocados Cubed
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- Salt and Black Pepper To taste
- Cut cooled chicken into small, bite-sized pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Add diced pepper, celery and spinach leaves; mix well with a large spoon.
- Add cubed avocado; mash the avocado with a fork mashing it until you have a slightly smooth consistency and mix it into the chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Add the chili powder, black pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Serve on romaine lettuce leves, unsalted rice cakes, or toasted gluten-free whole grain bread.
- I lay a few whole spinach leaves on top if I'm eating it as a sandwich on GF bread.