Strawberry Caprese Skewers with Balsamic Glaze
This quick and easy appetizer is sure to be a hit at your next party. This fun variation of the traditional Caprese salad replaces the classic tomato with sweet strawberries, which pair beautifully with the rich balsamic glaze and fresh basil.
- 16 Fresh Strawberries washed and cut in half across width, hull intact
- 32 Medium Fresh Basil Leaves washed and patted dry
- 16 Mini Mozzarella Balls Ciliegine
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 16 6 inch Wooden Skewers
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil Optional
- 1. Thread the top half of one strawberry onto a wooden skewer with the hull facing up. Next, fold one basil leaf in half, dark side facing out, and add it to the skewer. Add one mini-Mozzarella ball, followed by another folded basil leaf, and the bottom half of the strawberry.
- 2. Repeat Step #1 with the remaining strawberries, basil, and Mozzarella until you have 16 completed skewers. Arrange on a serving platter and set aside.
- 3. To prepare the glaze, add balsamic vinegar to a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vinegar is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume.
- 4. Remove glaze from heat and let cool slightly. Drizzle over the skewers, along with some extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tip: The warm balsamic glaze will start to melt the cheese on contact. For a cleaner presentation, avoid adding the glaze to the cheese while drizzling it onto the skewers.