Farm Fresh Greek Steak Salad
This is one of my favorite go to steak salads. Marinating the meat adds so much flavor.
- 1 Pound Strip Steak Approximately 1 1/2" thick
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Large avocado Chopped1
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 4 Cups Mixed Salad Greens or other lettuce of choice
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 1 Cup Grape or Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 Medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives sliced
- 1/2 Cup feta cheese Crumbled
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustart
- 2 Teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- 2. Add the steak to a large, sealable freezer bag. Pour half of the balsamic dressing on top and seal tightly. Gently turn bag to make sure the steak is thoroughly coated in the marinade. Marinate the steak for at least 30 minutes at room temperature (but not more than 2 hours) or place in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer the remaining half of the dressing to an airtight container and set aside until ready to use.
- 3. When ready to prepare the salad, place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- 4. Turn exhaust fan to the highest setting and heat olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over high heat. Remove steak from marinade and discard the bag. Add the steak to the hot skillet (*See Recipe Notes to see the one I use) and sear on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- 5. Transfer skillet to the pre-heated oven and roast the steak to the desired level of doneness, approximately 8 minutes for medium-rare.** **Use an instant-read thermometer (See Recipe Notes for the one I use) https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/maryblackburn/shop/Cooking+Tools/Timers%2C+Thermometers+%26+Scales/Instant-Read+Food+Thermometer/100121 ) to check for doneness. The steak should be 5-10°F below desired temp (e.g., 135°F for medium-rare) when removed from the oven. The internal temp will continue to rise while resting.
- 6. Remove steak from oven and transfer to plate. Cover loosely and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- 7. Meanwhile, toss the freshly chopped avocado with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
- 8. Layer the mixed salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, olives, and avocado on a large serving platter and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- 9. Once the steak is rested, slice into thin strips and place on top of the salad. Top with crumbled Feta cheese and serve immediately with the remaining balsamic dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Non Stick Grill Pan Instant Read Thermometer Please note,actual cook time will vary depending on a number of factors, including starting temperature of the beef, thickness, desired level of doneness, and individual oven differences. For best results, allow the meat to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to cooking. For more details on desired temps for roasted beef, see this page: https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/kitchen/doneness.php