Recipe - Gluten-Free Sourdough Starter
This is a gluten-free sourdough starter recipe using a cup 4 cup gluten-free flour.
- 1 2 Quart size Mason Jar
- 1/2 Cup 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Flour I used Bob's Red Mill Brand
- 1/2 Cup Filtered Water Must be filtered so as not to contain Chlorine
- Start with a clean 2 quart mason jar.
- Pour flour and water into the mason jar and stir until completely combined
- Cover jar with a paper towel and screw on ring loosely.
- Let set at room temperature for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours you need to feed your starter.
- Feed your starter 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup warmish water.
- Stir well to incorporate. Do this every 24 hours.
- After day 3, your starter will start to smell funky or slightly sour. That's good.
- Continue feeding 1/2 cup of each water and flour every 24 hours.
- By day 3 you should be seeing some bubbles in your starter, and your starter should be growing in size.
- On Day 4, you will need to pour out about 1/2 of your starter before you feed it. You will do this before every feeding from now until Day 7.
- Between Days 4 and 7, along with it's sour aroma, you should be smelling a yeasty aroma too. That's exactly what you want.
- By Day 6 or 7 you should see active yeast activity. Your starter may even double in size within 4 to 8 hours of a feeding. At this point you are ready to start baking with your starter.
- Enjoy! Any questions, just ask them in the comments below.