For the taco seasoning, you can use either your favorite prepared gluten free blend or make up a batch of this super easy homemade version, found here that can be stored in an airtight container for up to six months.
Recipe - Taco Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
These delicious low-carb stuffed Portobello mushroom caps are really easy to make and deliver a ton of great flavor. Taco Tuesday will never be the same!
- 6 Large Portobello mushrooms caps Stems and gills removed
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 2-3 Tablespoons taco seasoning Gluten-Free
- 1/2 Cup water
- 10 Ounce four cheese Mexican blend Finely Shredded
- 4 green onions green part only, finely sliced
- 1/2 Pint grape tomatoes washed and cut into quarters
- 1 avocado seed and skin removed, and cut into small chunks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. With a pastry brush, brush olive oil on outside of each mushroom cap, and around the interior and edges. Set finished caps on lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink inside. Carefully drain off excess fat and return to heat.
- Add 2-3 T. taco seasoning mix and ½ cup water to skillet. Stir to distribute taco seasoning evenly. Cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until excess water cooks down, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the seasoned beef among the 6 mushroom caps. Add approximately 1 oz. of shredded Mexican cheese to each cap and top with sliced green onions.
- Place baking sheet on middle rack of oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
- To serve, top with chopped tomatoes, avocado, additional cheese, and green onions. For added crunch, serve with baked sweet potato chips.