There’s no doubt about it with the coming of warmer weather comes the bugs. Mosquitos, fleas, ticks, no see ’ems. They will all be out and looking for a meal.
To make sure it’s not you, I have a DIY essential oil insect repellent recipe for you. Since almost all commercial insect repellents contain DEET, I wanted to find a natural repellent that really worked. My daughter used this one when she and her family went to Colorado and she said it worked great. You just have to reapply more often that you would the commercial stuff.
- 1 4 ounce Glass Spray Bottle
- 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel
- 1 Tablespoon Vodka as a preservative
- 2 Tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 75 Drops doTERRA TerraShield Essential Oil
- To your 4 ounce glass spray bottle, add the witch hazel, vodka, fractionated coconut oil, and the TerraShield Essential oil.
- Add the spray top, shake well and you're ready to go.
75 drops may sound like a lot of essential oil, but in a 4 ounce bottle, that is only about a 2% dilution. If you are pregnant, or nursing, consult your physician before using.
* Update 2017. doTERRA now makes their own insect repellent of TerraShield in a 30 ml spray bottle.