Nothing says old school comfort food like tender homemade pure beef meatballs and pasta in a rich tomato broth after a busy day, or a cold January evening.
Homemade Italian Meatball Soup
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, garlic, and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning,
4. Make a well in the center and the beaten egg.
5. Sprinkle mixture with cheese, flour, salt, and pepper.
6. Mix to combine ingredients. Avoid overmixing.
7. With your hands or a small scoop, shape the meat mixture into small balls (1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in size).
8. Bake 8-10 minutes or until meatballs are lightly browned.
9. While the meatballs are baking, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
10. Add onion, celery and carrots. Saute 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once carrots are slightly softened, add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper, to taste.
11. Bring to a simmer. Add meatballs and pasta. Simmer uncovered 10-12 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
12. Top with parsley. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- You can find the recipe for Homemade Italian Seasoning here:
- If desired, substitute 50% pork, or a combination of beef, pork & veal often sold as meatloaf mix.
- To keep meatballs light, avoid overmixing meat mixture. Overmixing will make meatballs or meatloaf heavy and dense.