This delicious soup is thick, rich and creamy. The carrots, tomatoes and lentils complement each other well and the fresh parsley and chili flakes give it just the right kicked up flavor.
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||20 Minutes|
- 3/4 Cup Split Red Lentils
- 1 Quart Hot Vegetable Stock divided
- 1 Pinch Chili Flakes more or less to taste
- 1 Pound Carrots washed, and coarsely sliced
- 1 Medium Onion rough chopped
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 4 to 5 Whole Cilantro stems and leaves, to taste, chopped
- 1. In a medium bowl, add just enough warm vegetable stock to cover lentils to begin to soften.
- 2. Heat stock pot over medium heat. Add chili flakes and let cook for 1 minute to release their oil.
- 3. Add olive oil, onion and carrots. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- 4. Add tomatoes, lentils, and remaining stock. Simmer 10-12 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 5. Add milk and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes until lentils and vegetables are fully cooked.
- 7. For a smooth texture blend with an immersion blender (like this one below in the Cook's Tips section.)
- 8. Adjust seasonings and finish with yogurt or sour cream, garnish with cilantro and enjoy with warm gluten-free bread or naan
- 9. Enjoy!
- If you don't mind the taste of cilantro, you can replace the flat leaf parsley with cilantro. And depending on how well you like heat, you can up the Chili flakes if more heat is desired.
- Organic carrots are recommended in this recipe. Wash carrots well and leave the skin on to maintain nutrients that would otherwise be lost.
- Immersion Blender: https://amzn.to/3Mg26ZX
- If you don't have an Immersion Blender, you can always use a regular blender. Adding half of the hot liquid at a time. Just remember that if you put hot liquids into it to blend, remove the little cup in the lid and cover with a towel so as to allow the steam to escape. Otherwise, the steam can build and explode the lid right off of the blender.
Share this Recipe