I know that it is Spring, but here in Western Pennsylvania, Winter is determined to keep a firm grip on us.
Since it has been so cold and snowy, I’ve been craving warm soups. I love Cream of Broccoli soup, but I’m trying to eat more healthily, and let’s face it, heavy cream is far from healthy.
So I came up with this recipe for gluten-free cream of broccoli soup. Not only is it gluten-free, but it is also dairy-free. I hope you enjoy it as much as my hubby and I do.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, including stems, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium, fat-free, gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk or low fat Soy Milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
In a large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, and garlic until onion and celery is soft. About 7 minutes. Add the potato, chopped broccoli, chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes and broccoli are tender.
Allow soup to cool slightly, then transfer soup to a blender* in 2 or 3 batches and blend until all the soup has been blended smooth. Return to Dutch oven and heat gently until ready to serve.
Makes 6 servings.
* Instead of a blender, I like to use an Immersion Blender. These are stick blenders that you can put right down into your pot to blend your soup.
If you like this recipe, you may like my cookbook: