During the summer months, I love grilling as many of my meals as possible. Chicken, seafood, veggies, even fruit are fantastic on the grill. If you enjoy outdoor grilling and barbeques as much as I do, then you’ll love this recipe. Fast and easy to prepare, this grilled shrimp and citrus vinaigrette salad recipe is destined to be the hit of any BBQ.
You’ll have plenty to make a couple of meals out of it, so it’s a great recipe to add to your meal plan. And if you’re going to a barbeque or throwing a party of your own, there’s enough to please everyone.
Shrimp Tail on or Off
Your choice comes down to a matter of personal preference, so I leave that up to you. For a more appealing presentation, I suggest you leave the tail on. To make it easier to eat, take the tails off before cooking.
If you run into bad luck and have to take the party inside, the shrimp can be prepared under the broiler, too. Too hot to run the oven? an indoor griddle or even a cast iron skillet will also work.
This recipe is versatile enough that you can easily switch out the ingredients with other options. Any leafy green will work well in place of the arugula and spinach.
Don’t like shrimp? Stay healthy with a lean meat like chicken or turkey breasts cut up into one-inch cubes. Add a few minutes of cooking time, making sure the meat is fully cooked before serving.
For other tasty seafood options, you want to stick with a firm fish that won’t become flakey or fall apart on the skewers. Swordfish, snapper, mahi-mahi, and my favorite, salmon, are ideal.
Vegetarian? Tofu or tempeh work, too.
This dish will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for a day but is best eaten right off the grill. If you plan to make it the night before, wait until just before serving to add the dressing to the greens, so they don’t wilt.
If you have leftovers, you can make a fajita-like dish or wrap by adding the ingredients in a tortilla. Choose ones made with non-GMO whole corn and without shortening or hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil.
I hope you enjoy this simple grill recipe that’s the perfect healthy dinner for warm summer days – with just 10 minutes of prep!
Grilled Shrimp and Citrus Vinaigrette Salad
Perfectly grilled shrimp with a spicy citrus vinaigrette salad. So easy to make and so delicious!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 lime
- 1 orange
- 2 lemons
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Skewer sticks, pre-soaked
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Lightly oil grill grate. Slice the lime, orange, and lemons in half and place them on the rack, cut sides down. Grill until lightly charred, about 3 minutes. Slice 1/2 a lemon into wedges and set aside for garnish.
- In a small bowl, crush the garlic with the sea salt. Mix in paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and whisk in olive oil.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime, orange, and 1 lemon into the bowl and whisk well. Set aside 1/2 of the vinaigrette dressing in a large serving bowl for the salad.
- Add shrimp and toss with the remaining dressing until evenly coated.
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers and place on the grill. Cook until opaque, approximately 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Meanwhile, add arugula and spinach to the large bowl and toss with reserved vinaigrette dressing.
- When the shrimp is done, transfer to a platter, squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon over the shrimp, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve with the salad.
What’s your favorite food to grill? Share in the comments!