Being part Irish, my family always had a pot of ham, cabbage and potatoes, or corned beef, cabbage and potatoes at least once a month. The were never my favorite meals, but I always loved when we had Colcannon. It is still a comfort food for me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Recipe - Colcannon, Irish Potato Casserole
- 3 medium Potatoes All purpose white, peeled, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 Cup Plain yogurt low fat
- 4 Cups Green Cabbabe steamed until tender
- 1 small Onion chopped, and steamed until tender
- 3 Tablespoons Chives Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 2 quart casserole dish with gluten-free nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl combine, the potatoes and the yogurt. Using an electric mixer on low speed, mix until the potatoes are fairly smooth and the yogurt is fully incorporated; stir in the cabbage, onions, chives, salt, and pepper, mixing well. Transfer to the casserole dish and dot the top with the butter. Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.