During the summer I’m always looking for healthier, lighter recipes, because let’s face it, who really wants to spend time in the kitchen or eat heavy meals. That’s why I love this recipe that I came up with one evening when I didn’t really feel like cooking, but I didn’t have any salad fixin’s at home either.
What I did have was plenty of zucchinis, some onions, garlic, and canned diced tomatoes. Hmm, what to make? Then I remembered the spiralizer that I ordered from Amazon had come the day before. What could be a lighter healthier meal than zucchini pasta? And at this time of year, zucchinis are plentiful and very economical.
It was delicious and even my husband liked it.
Zucchini Pasta with Basil and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium to Large Onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Medium sized firm zucchini spiralized
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes mostly drained
- 1/4 cup of the drained tomato liquid
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade
- Pour the olive oil into a large skillet, add diced onion and saute over medium heat until onions are softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes* along with some of the reserved juice and minced garlic and stir to combine. Saute for about 10 minutes to marry the flavors together.
- Add the spiralized zucchini and toss. Saute just long enough to heat the zucchini noodles through. About 2 to 3 minutes. You don't want the zucchini noodles to lose their crunch.