Taco-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
These delicious low-carb stuffed Portobello mushroom caps are really easy to make and deliver a ton of great flavor. Taco Tuesday will never be the same! To prepare the mushroom caps, gently remove stems by hand. Then, scoop out the gills with a spoon and discard. This will give you more room to add your toppings, plus it will remove the residual grit that can sometimes accumulate there. For the taco seasoning, you can use either your favorite prepared blend or make up a batch of this super easy homemade version that can be stored in an airtight container for up to six months.
- 6 large Portobello mushrooms caps stems and gills removed
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2-3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 c water
- 10 oz four cheese Mexican blend finely shredded
- 4 green onions green part only, finely sliced
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes washed and cut in quarters
- 1 avocado seed and skin removed, cut into small chunks
- salsa optional
- guacamole optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. With a pastry brush, brush olive oil on outside of each mushroom cap, and around the interior and edges. Set finished caps on lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink inside. Carefully drain off excess fat and return to heat.
- Add 2-3 T. taco seasoning mix and ½ cup water to skillet. Stir to distribute taco seasoning evenly. Cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until excess water cooks down, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the seasoned beef among the 6 mushroom caps. Add approximately 1 oz. of shredded Mexican cheese to each cap and top with sliced green onions.
- Place baking sheet on middle rack of oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
- To serve, top with chopped tomatoes, avocado, additional cheese, and green onions. For added crunch, serve with baked sweet potato chips.